A multibillion-dollar mining project in central Queensland faced significant risks to schedule. Potential long delays, cost blowouts and the knock-on impact to the client’s reputation were at stake.
- Risk information was dated and unconsolidated.
- The project team was focused on fire fighting daily issues.
- Risk management was treated as a compliance issue, not a key business tool.
The Programme Consulting Solution
- Established a firm foundation to commence risk management.
- Consolidated risk information into a single source.
- Worked with stakeholders and conducted project reviews to validate existing risk information and identify new risks.
- Conducted risk assessment and cost benefit analysis to determine which risks provided the greatest time and cost improvements with the least effort.
- Developed risk treatment plans that fed into the client’s master schedule and time management system (Primavera).
- Developed change forms to support the funding for risk treatments.
- Developed a risk dashboard for daily use by the project team.
- Measured the actual time, cost and other benefits achieved.
- Savings of tens of millions of dollars with the potential for greater future improvements.
- An increased focus on planning and treating risks that help achieve business objectives.
Read more about our risk management portfolio experience in the London Olympics case study, or contact us today to discuss how we can help you deliver your portfolio or project.